Monday, February 20, 2006

A sheep shearing we will go...




and love every minute! Mom and I (she's the one standing and freezing in front of the barn) went to a Sheep Shearing on Saturday. It was soooooooooo cold, and began to sleet and snow, and we had a wonderful time! It was a 2 hour drive, stopped for a cajun filet biscuit at Bojangle's (love that place) and kept going down long, winding country roads until we saw the sign...Sheep Shearing, yeah!
I have never taken so many pictures of sheep :) My mom said she had a whole roll too. But I only posted a few, so you would get the idea. They were so beautiful and so matted! Maybe that's not the right word, but I loved it. Can't say that enough. I did buy 3 balls of roving, which I need to show you tomorrow, have to brag on my roving...like a proud momma. If I had hand cards and time and knew what I was doing I would have bought a bag of fleece. I had my eye on a bag from "Ella", she was a fine looking sheep!
I absolutely loved the look of the Navajo Churro sheep (pictured above in the supine position) as they were brought in and sheared. And I learned they are good for outerwear or rugs only. Did you know that? I didn't. Also, saw a few angora goats that were cutiepies!
Anyway, if you have never been to a shearing you MUST GO! I found this one by chance while surfing. It was held at Rising Meadow Farm in Greensboro, NC and my toboggan is off to them for some fine looking sheep :) I want one...
Speaking of toboggans, saw some great ones on heads while there and it made me want to try to knit one again. This time I am going for a different pattern with a bulky yarn I recycled. That's what I have been doing lately, ripping apart sweaters AND working on a tooth fairy costume for teaching dental care. That's a whole other story...

No comments: